The Law Office of David Lowell

Attorney at Law

Child Support

Disagreements over money, especially with respect to child support, lead to some of the most difficult family law cases.   These battles can be particularly damaging to the children.   Our office can help our clients navigate these sensitive issues, and reach a workable situation.

Washington child support laws determine how much child support is awarded to the custodial parent.  Factors such as the income of each parent, the number of children, and the custody situation help determine the amount of child support. 

Child support is usually paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent to contribute to the cost of upbringing of the child(ren). The custodial parent is the parent with whom the child resides the majority of the time. Even if the child resides an equal amount of time with each parent, the parent with the lower income may still be entitled to child support. 

 Here are some common questions about child support:

Q.  What is child support?

A.  Child support is defined by law as the ongoing monetary expenditures and payments necessary to cover a child’s living and medical expenses. Both parents have a legal duty to provide financial support for their children. The court may order either or both parents to make ongoing payments to cover a child’s living and medical expenses.

Q.  How is child support determined?

A.   Child support is determined using guidelines established by Washington law. Child support guidelines are based on each parent’s monthly income and the amount of time the child is cared for by each parent.

The Court Commissioner or Family Law Judge will set the amount of a child support order. The court will consider income from all sources. The income can be in the form of money, property, or services and can include:

  • Wages from a job;
  • Tips;
  • Commissions;
  • Bonuses;
  • Self-employment earnings;
  • Unemployment benefits;
  • Disability and workers’ compensation;
  • Interest;
  • Dividends;
  • Rental income; and,
  • Social Security or pensions.

Contact our office today for a free consultation regarding your child support and/or family law questions, (360) 855-1755.

Copyright © 2023